Tuesday, October 23, 2012

New Bird Call?


A few months ago I was soaking in the tub when I heard what appeared to be a new bird call for me. Over the years, I’ve been able to identify most all of the calls of our local avian residents, and even a few who are traveling through. It’s neat to get to know the calls, so when I hear one sound off in the woods where I can’t see him, I can imagine who the caller is and what he looks like.

But this call was a new one for me. The bird was just out of sight, so there was no chance of spotting him, without stepping out of the tub… a move I’m extremely reluctant to make, after I get soakingly settled. I was curious about this call, but not that curious.

The call had two parts to it, it was very simple: a kind of trilly “brrr,” followed by a higher pitched whistle. Over and over he called, as the mystery deepened. What kind of bird was it? I closed my eyes, as if that might help me guess. He continued to mystify me.

Then suddenly the caller landed on a branch just above my head, continuing to sing. I opened my eyes and saw it was a common chickadee… just a little ol’ chickadee. I’ve never heard them sing like this! In fact, there were three of them, cavorting around, each one in turn calling out.

It was if they were demonstrating for me: “Look! Here’s our new song that we just learned. How ‘bout that? Yes, it’s us, your chickadee buddies. We’re not singing for territory or mates, just goofing off and seeing what we can do. Don’t you know it’s almost a full moon? We’re gonna have a party!” With that, they gaily flew off, still belting out their new song.

One more lesson for the giant, water-logged, two-legged, non-flying creature. It’s nice to know that the local critters are kind enough to keep teaching me. There is so much to learn from them.


No comments: