Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Alleviating Ignorance—Part 1

Some three and a half decades ago my wife and I made a major transition from a city life of professional careers to become rural hicks. It was a move that we'd dreamed of doing for some time, but were not at all sure of what we'd be walking into, so we hesitated, while we laid plans for several years, before making the big move. The fact that we're still here 35 years later is testimony to our tenacity—either indicating that we've been successful or that we take a long time to admit defeat. I'd like to believe that our survival is because we managed to find the keys to accepting the many vicissitudes that awaited us out here in the woods and that we found ways to live with them, rather than seeking ways to defeat them or allowing them to defeat us.
When we made our rural transition, it was with the proviso that we leave behind mainstream society's methods of domination and throwing money at problems, by seeking simpler, low-cost ways of facing life's dilemmas. That's a nice idea, but how do you pull it off? We weren't sure.
Any major change in lifestyle will find you facing problems that you never anticipated. Your ignorance and naivete can throw you off balance and even threaten to throw you off your game plan. I will briefly describe a few examples of how we encountered unexpected challenges and pretty much managed to stay in balance, even though we got knocked out of whack a few times. In each case the obstacle was subsequently managed, not through warfare, but by learning how to live with it; certainly not by throwing up our hands and returning to the city.
The first example battle was with chiggers. Prior to moving out to the woods I'd never heard of a chigger. It's a tiny mite that lurks in weedy areas, waits for a human to pass by, leaps to your shoe or pant leg, crawls up an exposed leg until it's stopped by an obstruction like a belt, and then finds a skin pore, into which it injects a tiny snout (somewhat like a mosquito), sucks up some moisture, and leaves behind a toxin that will have you frantically scratching for days. I incurred a few dozen chigger bites on my first trip out to the land to explore it, to see if it was what I wanted to purchase. The bites drove me crazy. The experience shortly began to cast doubts on the wisdom of my choice to buy the land.
A friend who knew about these biting little buggers advised me to tuck my pants into my socks the next time out and dab some kerosene on my clothing below the knee. Chiggers detest the smell of kerosene and would keep away from me, he promised. I followed his instructions, but in my enthusiasm did not daub, but generously soused kerosene on my pants and socks. I returned from my second excursion to the land with no chigger bites, but the skin around my shins and ankles was red and raw for several days. In time I found more effective chigger repellent methods and now rarely get bites... let alone blistered kerosene ankles.
A second nemesis that we faced was an invasion of voles in our vegetable garden. Voles are mice-sized vegetarians who use the underground tunnels moles have excavated. The moles are no problem in the garden—they are carnivores looking for worms and beetle larvae. The vegetarian voles, however, scoot along the mole tunnels until they come upon the roots of a luscious young plant like young broccoli. First they chew off the roots and then they drag the whole plant down into the tunnel, to dine at leisure. We were left angrily looking at a hole, where a broccoli plant once grew.
Like chiggers, I'd never heard of voles, so we assumed the problem was moles, because of the tunnels. We tried several means of defending our precious garden plants from moles—from growing gigantic castor bean plants supposedly to repel them, to various smelly deterrents. Nothing worked. But I got a hint at a solution one day while reading, that our problem was really voles. An additional critical piece of information I read was that voles feared the smell of cats and dogs. I brushed our dog, got a fistful of hair, and poked bits of the hair down in the tunnels. Within a week or so, the voles were gone. I love to chuckle at the thought of a vole meandering confidently down a tunnel, looking forward to another broccoli meal, and suddenly catching a whiff of dog. “What!? How'd a dog get down here? Run!”

More on ignorance lessons next time...

No comments: