Monday, October 17, 2016

Ground Beetle


I found this guy dead. It is a ground beetle, one of the most common and abundant beetles in the eastern US. They are very welcome around here, as they prey upon Japanese beetles and cut worms--both nemeses of the garden. They hide during the day and climb trees at night, seeking caterpillars. This specimen might even be what is called a "bombardier beetle," because of their habit of ejecting from their anus a "glandular secretion that literally explodes when released, producing a popping sound. The secretion is foul-smelling and irritating, and serves as a means of protection." I think my wife would say that I am trying to imitate the ground beetle on a regular basis... although I don't seem to do it for protection. Click to enlarge.

No comments: