Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Oak Apple Gall



The oak apple gall is caused by a wasp (Amphibolips confluenta) that lays an egg on the center rib of a budding oak leaf. The egg hatches and the larva's saliva causes the leaf to mutate and form a ball around the larva (top photo). The larva eats from the mutated leaf and then hatches in mid-summer. The middle photo shows the gall cut open, with the fine lacing that holds the larva inside. In the bottom photo I extracted the center of the gall and cut it open, to show the wasp larva. (I said a prayer to the wasp gods, asking forgiveness for killing an innocent larva.) (Click to enlarge.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for this! Great explanation and photos. And, I like your profile write-up. May we all be so lucky to live to long and well...and take time to realize it. :) Thanks again for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Does this kind of wasp eat aphids and other harmful pests. If they do I'll leave them alone but if they don't do their share of work then I have to get rid of them because I'm very allergic to wasp's, hornet's and honey bees, please let me know what I should do okay thanks katrinakrishak166@gmail.com